Hello fellow marketers. It’s cool to think about the future. Who or what will astound us next in terms of pushing the envelope on social media? Mobile! Location-based! Aggregates! We know for sure, as Wired Magazine tells us this month, that one of the most important shifts will come as the “digital world moves from the wide-open web to semi-closed platforms that use the Internet for transport to and from mobile devices.”
“Spheres of Social Media Influence: Where Social Media Leaders Are and Where You Need To Be To Harness New Media’s Power” – is what I’ve presented (along with fellow marketer-pal Julie Ray) at the YWCA 12th Annual Women’s Leadership Conference on September 17. Tons of resources discussed. Here are a few suggestions (I’ll continue to update so check back often!)
- Hubspot’s ultimate list of Social Media stats.
- Saluting Brian Solis and all his fabulous Social Media advice! Follow him!
- I use Mashable for news, trends, tutorials, resources, apps, technology reviews.
- You can set up Google Alerts, Technorati, Social Mention, tweetbeep tracking and more to measure your visibility online. Remember what Brian Solis says, the key is to have visibility morph into presence — that’s Leadership.
- Of course there’s Hootsuite for aggregating, but there’s also CoTweet, Postling, SocialTALK, Friendfeed, Profilactic and flavors.me!
- Conversations are taking place all around. Why not add your expertise to the mix? Push your conversations out there through Feed Share and Publishing. Get a blog: I have WordPress and Blogger and there’s Posterous. Push out your news in Digg, Stumbleupon and Delicious; share with RSS and Feedburner.
Meet and Connect with our Social Media Leaders:
- Carlotta Flores, owner and chef for six Tucson restaurants including historic El Charro, a food manufacturing plant and a new yogurt enterprise. I respect Carlotta for her focus on heritage foods, regional culture, health and good cooking!
- The Caliber Group Leadership Team of Linda Welter Cohen and Kerry Stratford — Caliber is the respected advertising, public relations, marketing and strategic branding firm. These women are tops!
- Barb Gibson, Social Media and Intercultural Communication Consultant/Trainer and 2008-09 Chair of the International Association of Business Communicators. Awesome Barb stayed at my Tucson home during her USA speaking tour last year. She’s a great cook, too!
- Don’t forget my pal and fabulous graphic-web designer/social media star Julie Ray! She is a beautiful and talented friend.
- Lastly – Don’t forget Tucson Cowgirl! Please stay in touch with me on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook. Saluting all my fellow marketers who passionately believe in doing and communicating what’s good!